About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
A mythical beast - a female wargamer! I got back into wargaming in the summer of 2011 after a very, very long break and haven't looked back since. I must admit that I seem to be more of a painter/collector than a gamer, but do hope to correct that at some point in the near future. My gaming interests span the ages, from the "Biblical" era all the way through to the far future. I enjoy games of all sizes, from a handful of figures up to major battles (see my megalomaniacally sized Choson Korean and Russian Seven Years War armies).

Wednesday 27 July 2016

New Stuffs!

No Army Review tonight - some shinies came in the post today and I have some other purchases to show off.

A couple of weeks ago, while I was on leave I ordered some reinforcements for my SYW Russian cavalry from Essex. They were sent out for delivery by UK Mail. Who messed me around royally. I eventually (after speaking to Essex) asked them to return to sender. Anyway, Essex kindly agreed to send them out by Royal Mail when they came back and this evening the package was waiting for me when I got home from work. It seems that Royal Mail had no difficultly putting the padded envelope through my letterbox on their first delivery attempt. So, shiny piccies time!



Two hussar regiments plus a hussar command group

Four regiments of dragoons or horse grenadiers

Two 4-horse wagons
I'll be prepping these in batches over the next few weeks. I'm taking the second week in August off work, so I'm hoping to get at least some of them painted up during that time - maybe the dragoons and horse grenadiers if they're prepped and primed in time. At this point I'm still debating what mix of dragoons and horse grenadiers to do. I'll probably go two and two - that way all the dragoon regiments that fought in the SYW will be done and there will only be two more regiments of horse grenadiers that I need to paint in the future.

If things go well, I may get the hussars (Gruzinskiy and Moldavskiy) done and the hussar uniformed general plus staff - possibly with a flag (I usually snip them into sabre shape as hussars didn't carry flags in the field).

The wagons have no role in King of the Battlefield rules, but could be used as objective markers or for scenarios using Honours of War. I might need to get a couple more and some covers and supplies to go in them. I'll also need some long bases to put them on, so those will be the last to get painted.


My other purchases were all books. You may recall me talking about my thought of doing Brandy Station in 2 or 3mm. Well, the books are research for that idea.



"Hang on, one of those is about Gettysburg!"

Yep, well spotted that reader. An alternative idea to doing Brandy Station is to look at the cavalry actions around Gettysburg which are generally overlooked. Hence this book. I do have one more book about Brandy Station on pre-order which gets published/re-issued tomorrow although it may not come in to the shop for a few days.

10 comments:

  1. Always love to see more shinny coming through the post. At work we knew those dastards as UK Fail, they are cheap and sheet ;-)

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see your shinies. Never heard of UK Mail. Thanks for the warning. Can't wait to hear about your plans for 2/3mil ACW. Been tempted with the scale for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mid week shinies - you lucky so and so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always good to get nice parcels. Always bad to be mucked about by the deliveries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like a packet or two of shininess coming through the door!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love getting things in the post too, painting 'em up though can be a bit of a chore!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've so many problems with UK mail it's ridiculous Tamsin! Wayland Games use them for their enhanced delivery and they have buggered it up every single time inc damage, leaving the parcel out in the rain and not delivering even when I'm in!! Useless

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Ian - shinies are always welcome! :)

    @ Jon - it's not an immediate plan and knowing my butterfly tendencies may well never come to fruition :)

    @ Michael A - shininess is good wherever in the week it arrives m'Lord! :)

    @ Clint - indeed it is good to be the recipient of parcels containing shinies :)

    @ Francis - the more parcels of shininess the better! OK, maybe not for your bank balance... ;)

    @ Dave D - we do indeed! :)

    @ Herkybird - yup, painting the shinies is always the tough part - but worth it :)

    @ Da Gobbo Grotto - that was the problem I had - not delivering when I was in and when I actually found their customer services phone number and called them, they lied about attempts to deliver *angry face*

    ReplyDelete